Thursday, November 20, 2008

Torture 'em

Today's helpful NaNoWriMo pep talk was from Jane Fitch, author of White Oleander. She suggested that in order to create good fiction you must create protagonists you love and then torture them. Playing it safe makes things dull. Pushing them off a cliff . . . atleast it'll be exciting. I'm a little afraid of the chaos that will ensue but tomorrow the torture will begin in earnest. After all, if you read the Plot Arc? post, you'll know I need to crank out 2652 words tomorrow or else so volume (and action) will be key!

1 comment:

  1. Don't even think I'm not watching you...pushing characters over a cliff, how pedestrian. ;)

    Celebrate...you're past the mid thirties, technically...well on your way to 50K!

    I'm heading to Sac tomorrow for the protest...now THERE'S some opportunity for plot twists and guest appearances...I hear Margaret Cho's gonna be there, she can always add spunk to any plot. :)

    ReplyDelete