Sunday, November 16, 2008

Staying in Touch

One piece of advice they NaNoWriMo folks offer is to stay in touch with your characters. That if you leave them idle for too long they'll get bored and wander off making it very hard to pick up where you left off on the novel. You'll start typing and no one will be there. Some kind of a rapture of the imagination.

So today, I say goodbye to my generous Seattle friends and head for Portland to visit my niece and see her in her new world of Reed College. She's the one who planted the NaNoWriMo seed in my imagination so it seems only fitting.

Alas, only 392 words today. But that was enough to say a quick hello to the plot and the characters and to assure them that tomorrow, once I'm home, they will have my full attention. I can't wait to find out what they've been up to!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your journey! Thanks for sharing it. And love the idea of characters being so "real" that you are looking forward to finding out what they've been up to. Sounds mischievous.

    ReplyDelete