Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Trust is an interesting thing

Yesterday was a good day of writing. Characters came knocking at my door, plot lines fell into place, I could see (atleast a little bit) where things were heading. I could breathe.

Today, I'm nervous as I sit down to write. Will it flow again? Are the characters ready? Is this interesting in the least? Will the plot come to a screeching halt and the whole thing implode somewhere around word 5,555?

This mirrors the feeling in the air today on this election day. All across the country people are voting. Will he win or won't he? What'll be next? Hope or fear?

It makes me wonder if the real challenge is not about eliminating fear but rather about coming to expect its visit. Fear pounds on the door and yells, tracks mud in on the clean floor, demands our attention. Yet trust says open the door gracefully, stay calm as fear storms past, extend one arm politely towards the empty chair and say, "I'll be right with you after I finish this dream!"

1 comment:

  1. Well, I can tell you one thing. According to these blogs, you're clearly, clearly a writer.
    GO TRUST!
    L.

    ReplyDelete