Thursday, November 13, 2008

Touching the Void

I'm in Seattle today, visiting friends. Does this mean my characters will be here too? Pretty darn likely some elements of the visit will end up in the story. That's how it do (to paraphrase The Wire, to which I'd recently developed a strange addiction resolved only by reaching the end of the series).

The main tension I feel right now is worrying about whether or not I have enough material. I worry that my plot is thin and so resist diving in fully. The No Plot? No Problem motivation card for Day 12 suggested we ponder the example of the fellow from Touching the Void. His motto: just keep making decisions, even if they're bad ones. I need to be less cautious with my characters, to trust that material will appear when needed, rather than worrying whether the tiny plot points in my head right now will suffice. They won't. But if I keep playing them out, keep making decisions, things will get much more interesting. And my biggest fear--boredom--will be avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment